Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What to do?!

For the past month or so I had suspected that Abby had a tongue tie (Where the skin that attaches from under the tongue to the bottom of your mouth attaches at the tip of the tongue instead) Pediatricians are supposed to check for this during the first week checkups. I was pretty sure I was right, so I asked when she got her two month shots if she did in fact have one. Sure enough.. she does! I didn't notice right away, but thought her tongue looked a little strange.. the tip of her tongue looks like a bum and she didn't seem to be able to stick it out much. I thought this was normal until I saw other babies her age sticking out their tongue. The doctor said that since she is feeding fine, she won't do anything about it now. I don't know what to do. This will be my biggest decision I'll have to make.. because it could affect her life forever.

After doing some research, I found that tongue ties can stretch out and not cause any problems. They can also stay like that and cause speech impediments. Or dental problems.

So.. here are my choices.

Find someone who will snip it now while she is still young.. and apparently it is just as painful as a shot. Hurts for a bit and then is fine.

Pros.. She will be able to stick out her tongue like everyone else and may potentially never encounter speech problems. She may also latch better so I won't be as sore feeding.

Cons.. It may be unnecessary.. and in some cases, cutting it does not prevent the speech impediments that will happen because the tissue is just snipped and not reconnected.

OR I could wait and see. And if there are problems, there is surgery available to correct it when she is older where they will reconnect it correctly.

Pros.. waiting may prove to eliminate the tie if it stretches out

Cons.. she will be older and will have already adapted to speaking with her tie and will need speech therapy to correct it.. AND she will have to go through surgery.. which at that point, would take a couple days to heal.

So what do I do? I know that I don't want my daughter to have to feel different. Life is hard enough without having something else to deal with. I can't imagine how she would feel if someone stuck out their tongue at her and she couldn't do it back. Maybe I am just blowing the whole thing up and it wouldn't be a big deal to her.

How do I make a decision that will affect someone else's life forever?

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! So the decisions start.... this is the not so fun part of being a parent.

    I think the most difficult part is that you will find people that say 'DO IT' and other's that say 'DON'T DO IT' and you feel judged for whatever decision you make.

    I haven't done any research on this, but my gut feeling right now would be to do it. Correcting a speech impediment can be HARD. If the cons are not too bad right to have it done now, that would probably be the side I'm leaning towards... But then I'd research it, go on message boards, and research it some more. Then I'd make up my mind and stick to it. If you decide you want to do it and your ped says no... then find another one that will listen to you. Mom knows what's best for her baby (if you do your research).

    My Ped is absolutely amazing. She doesn't try to impose her beliefs on me, she just points out the pros and cons of my decision and from there, she lets me make my own decisions.

    Just the fact that you're questioning it, researching it, and questioning what your ped said is proof that you are already an amazing mom. You will make the right decision for little Abby, I don't doubt that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Mama instinct April! I have been researching it also. Here is what kinda made my decision..

    Babies less than 12 weeks old – the procedure can be performed without anaesthetic. The baby’s head is held firmly and the frenum is simply snipped (divided) with surgical scissors. A number of studies report that breastfeeding is improved immediately after the procedure for most babies. Reports also suggest that tongue movement is normal within three months of the procedure.

    Older children and adults – a general or local anaesthetic may be given beforehand. Stitches are needed when the tongue-tie has been surgically divided. It may take a few weeks for the mouth to heal. Self-care suggestions include gargling with salt water, use of chlorhexidine mouthrinse and taking anti-inflammatory drugs such as paracetemol or ibuprofen. Older children and adults may need speech therapy after the surgery to unlearn established patterns of articulation.

    I don't have babies yet so it's tough to say but I think I'm leaning towards doing it earlier than later. I had it done!! But it was my upper lip nerve that went all the way between my teeth. I got it cut at 24 yrs old and it didn't hurt at all. The mouth is weird that way?!

    A blog that I read "Kelly's Korner" had to decide if she was going to have her daughter's 6th pinkie toe cut off and she did it. I know it's not the same but it's a decision. Here is her blog entry http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/2009/09/surgery-success.html

    I will blog about it on my end and see what moms out there say about it! Sorry for the lonnng comment.

    Give my goddaughter some smooches -xxx-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was referred by Monique so I thought I would come and check out this tongue tied baby ;)
    My niece and nephew had this same thing when they were little. My sister decided to get his clipped while he was little because the doctor acted like he might have some problems with his speech when he got older(she didn't do my niece's when she was little..first born and she was hesitant)He fussed for a bit but was completely fine! My niece got hers clipped when she was 10 because she was having some issues pronouncing and the doctor thought it would help. They knocked her out for like 5 minutes, literally and she was eating McDonald's nuggets with KETCHUP 30 minutes after the procedure. They both healed great! No speech problems now!
    I don't have any children but if it's going to cause problems when they get older and they have to go under anesthesia, then I would much rather do it when they are small.
    Just an idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi April - just a quick comment... you mentioned having some reservations re: vaccinations - www.alittlelilac.blogspot.com has a post on that today that's interesting if you want to check it out.
    Have a wonderful day mama!

    ReplyDelete