Monday, March 14, 2011

Room Renos!

So, I have officially taken on the project of Abby's room renovation. I took some "before" pictures today and was able to get 3 coats of magnetic primer on the closet walls. Tomorrow I hope to get the chalkboard paint on and putty the holes in the walls. Maybe even put up the painters tape! Abby's room from the doorway.. notice the lovely pink walls in the hallway.... eek.

The room used to have a bear border running along the top but I took that down. I don't mind the colour really, but it needs to be repainted anyways so I'm going with a neutral colour. Also need to find something to put over her change table because the wall feels pretty empty. I am working on a little picture collage that I think will be nice, but time will tell! The light fixture isn't shown, but it is just one of those regular dome lights. I am seriously contemplating putting a little gem chandelier up, but am not sure if I can incorporate it into the jungle theme? I'm sure I can.. and then with the neutral colour on the wall her room can be transformed into the princess room I'm almost sure she will want later on in life with little to no effort.

The blind in the window needs to go.. it lets a lot of light in and.. well.. I just don't like it. The curtain rod that I had at the old place doesn't fit over the window anymore, and the curtains need to be taken up a bit. I need to staple or fasten the cords for the flower lights against the wall somehow in a safe way.. haven't figured out how I am going to do that just yet.. but we'll see.


I have this bookshelf for her things, but I am hoping to find something else to organize everything, or just use her gigantic closet . Her swing also needs to go, but I need to find space still, so it may stay there for a while longer. I made the letters for her name before I moved for the last place, but in this space they seem a bit empty, so I have some decals for the wall. I'm not sure if it will be too much, but even if it is, I am pretty sure she is going to love them. Also, the shelf is never empty.. I just took down her millions of stuffed giraffes when I took down the wallpaper. This shelf was made by my mom about 20 years ago and the other shelf was made by my brother about 10 years ago.


Her gigantic closet. I should have had the doors open so you can see just how much space is in there. There are two bars that are the full length of the closet with a shelf running along the top of each bar. I'm hoping to reduce it to one side and turn the other side into some sort of shelving/storage unit. My spoiled little girl desperately needs it!

Looking at all the pictures now, I realize that this is going to take me longer than I thought.. but I'm excited that I am finally able to get to it. One thing I have going for me is that she is, right now in fact, sleeping in my room. I don't know how tonight will pan out, but I do know that I will want my room back soon.

Good thing it is big. It may look tight, but there is actually a lot of room. I even have our glider chair in there with room to spare.. with a piano in there as well! It definitely needs some work too. The green has got to go.. but that is another day.. !

Anyways, there you have it! Tomorrow I think I'll take pictures of the other rooms in the house that Abby has taken over.. which is every room.. and talk about whats going to change. Writing this blog today made me see just how much easier it is to look at a picture of a room and see possibilities than it is to stand in the room and think of things. Spring is right around the corner and so is the nice weather. I want all of this reno stuff to be done so that I can spend some quality time with Abby and really enjoy our last few months together.

No comments:

Post a Comment